Beyond the Classroom
About the Council
Representatives from Kennesaw German Studies courses meet and form the German Student Council at Kennesaw State University. Each member has voting rights on motions. The chairperson is the spokesperson for the council. The German Studies Student Council meets at least once per semester to discuss important matters and vote on motions. The student council may decide to invite extended participation in votes that impact the entire body of German Studies students.
The German Studies Student Council is designed to support self-governance for students in the German Studies program. The University System of Georgia (USG) announced in its 2024 Strategic Plan that Kennesaw State University should focus its efforts on improving Student Success. The following focus areas offer guidance to members of the German Studies Student Council:
- Suggestions for improving path to graduation / degree completion
- Suggestions for improving access / eliminating barriers
- Improvements to learning options after graduation
- Preparation for high-demand career opportunities
- Suggestions for ways to foster or deepen critical thinking
- Suggestions for new courses and experiences
- Suggestions for improving students’ overall well-being
- Suggestions for fostering inclusion and prioritizing diversity
Roles and Responsibilities
Instructors in each German Studies course explain the following aspects of the position of course representative (Kurssprecher:in) at the start of the semester and students in each course self-nominate and vote for a representative.
- The course representative represents the interests of the students in the course section
- The course representative votes for a chairperson to represent all student representatives.
- The course representative sends ideas, suggestions, and requests from individual course sections to the deliberative body of the German Student Council for consideration and decisions.
- The course representative functions as a messenger who communicates information about Kennesaw German Studies to all students in each course.
- The course representative receives an academic incentive. Upon successful completion of all representation tasks, as determined by a vote of the council before the end of scheduled classes, the course representative is entitled to drop one low graded item from the the grade book for that course for that semester.
Council Meeting Schedule
Each semester the student council meets at least once in the first month of the semester. The first meeting is announced in advance through the course representatives in each section, and representatives may choose to invite all German Studies students to a meeting. The student council elects a chairperson in that first meeting. Subsequent meetings are determined by the governance of the council and are announced in a similar fashion. Meeting information will always be posted here.
German Student Council Members
The composition for the German Student Council fluctuates each semester. The following list includes the course representatives active this semester.
Add link here
Add link here