Beyond the Classroom
Study Abroad in Paderborn
- 🤑 Expenses. Students pay for ⅔ of flight and their current KSU tuition with financial aid.
- 💶 Scholarships. Students can apply for $2,500 of funding plus ⅓ of flight.
- 💼 Internships. Optional employment and salary for $400/month.
- 🎒 Credits. Students earn numerous course credits, depending on study (and work) plan.
- ⏰ Timeline. Apply in September for Spring travel, apply January-March for Fall travel.
Semester-long stay at UPB, co-sponsored by KSU (1/3 of airfare etc.), The Halle Foundation ($2,500/ea) and UPB (optional employment and salary as TA @ $ 400/month). You take a month-long intensive German language-culture course (Sep. and/or Mar.) free of charge; attend classes during the semester and may work as a TA and cultural ambassador for four months (Oct. – Jan. and/or Apr.-Jul) Earn KSU German Studies course credit by submitting work to Dr. Smith. Upper-level German Studies students and German Studies Majors have priority, but application is open to all students. A non-TA option allows students to study at UPB for variable lengths of time. Due Oct. 1 for Spring and Apr.1 for Fall.
How to Prepare
How to Prepare for Uni Paderborn as an American KSU Student
Special thanks to KSU Owl Bryce M for the video!Photo by Foto K. on Unsplash
- 🎬 Advice for students considering study abroad
- 🎬 Mason, Joey, and Adam share the benefits for their study abroad
- 🎬 German language proficiency after one year in Paderborn
Study abroad to Paderborn requires substantial planning in advance. You will need to discuss your plans with KSU German faculty and KSU Education Abroad.
- ⏰ Timing. Will you go abroad for a semester or a year? Note that German university schedules are not fall and spring, but rather winter and summer. For this reason, single semester exchange students should depart in Spring. Academic year exchange students should depart in Fall.
- 💲Financial Support. In most cases, students will be able to apply their financial aid package from KSU toward their study abroad experience for an academic semester or year. Seek financial aid expertise from that office in order to clarify the terms of support. It is also important to take note of your recurring expenses in the US and wind them down.
- ✍️ Academic Advising. In preparation for your study abroad experience, book appointments to meet with your German faculty advisor, your Education Abroad advisor, and any Academic Advisor that you have (for another major) at KSU. It is important to coordinate with these three parties so that you ensure the courses you take abroad fit into your plan to progress.